Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Texas Fight

There is something special about Texas. There is an identity and a culture unique to our state. Many people have asked me questions like “do you ride horses to school?” (yes, someone really asked that), or some other type of stereotypical question dealing with deserts, accents, and other rough-and-tumble things. Perhaps the countless mottos capture this Texas spirit, there’s:
“Don’t Mess with Texas”
“Everything’s bigger in Texas”
“Texas Fight!”
“The Eyes of Texas are Upon You”
“The Lone Star state”
And, we even have a pledge of allegiance: “Honor thy Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible.”
Out of the other United States, I believe Texas has the most pride. Only in Texas would I have “Texas Tuesdays,” and say the Texas Pledge of Allegiance, every week at my high school. And, Texas is the only state that can display its flag at the same height as the US flag since we used to be an independent nation. Texas’ dynamic past including Native Americans, winning independence from Mexico, independent nationhood, and assimilation with the US, marks the state with a unique fighting and go-getting attitude. Upon examining my Texan roots, I find that Texas shapes my identity of both who I am and who I want to become.

I admire the Spanish explorers’ adventurous spirit. They took risks, braved the elements, and explored new territory. They adapted to their surroundings and experienced newness every day. I aspire to have interesting experiences every day, to take the initiative more often, and seek the new on a daily basis. I do not, however, admire their brutal treatment of native people. They came to the Americas’ with a self-centered attitude to gain riches and glory for their nation. In doing so they did not recognize the humanity of the people around them which resulted in violence and bloodshed. I, on the other hand, hope that I can recognize humanity in people even if they are different.

In particular, Cabeza de Vaca stands out as an explorer who showed courage. He was stranded in the Americas and throughout eight years explored Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona by foot and sometimes in slavery. He was unusually benevolent toward Native Americans, and in his travels he became a skilled medicine man and later returned to Europe. I aspire to make the most out of my situations just as Caveza de Vaca did.


Moving through history, the entrepreneurial ranchers and spirited buffalo ranchers caught my eye. I marvel at the ranchers’ ability to create successful business enterprises out of nothing. And I am in awe of the buffalo soldiers pride despite the disrespect they encountered based upon the color of their skin. Stephen F. Austin was one such rancher, or empresario. He surveyed much of Texas country, secured land grants, and started local governments. Later he participated in the revolution and new republic of Texas. His outstanding achievements inspire me to work toward goals and dreams that seem unreachable.

I find, however, that I identify most with the leaders of more modern times. For example, the women’s liberation club espoused the phrase “if we rest we rust.” This catchy phrase epitomizes the hard work ethic and persistence that I want to apply in all areas of my life. I doubt that I would have had the courage to participate in World War II as many women did, but they still encourage me to step outside my bounds. Pioneers in medicine, aerospace, and the oil industry also display this creative and innovative work ethic. And, finally, Texas politicians like LBJ tell me that greatness can start from Texas- my home.

Viewing “Star of Destiny” better showed me this persistent and fighting spirit of Texas and made me proud to be a Texan. I could imagine the fear the people felt during the hurricane in Glaveston as the steam and wind circled around me, and I experienced the joy of finding oil after initially hitting mud. Identifying with the emotions of individuals of our past, for me, brings their leadership to the present. I realize that I can lead and persevere just as they did. As the video says, the Texas spirit is the courage part of us, the hero part. And, indeed, I find that I am “the Texas hero of tomorrow.”

No comments: